Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Wine Drinking and it's Long-Term Effects

The TASTE of a glass of  red wine after a long, stressful, event filled day.  I am sure many true wine lovers can relate to the feelings of  HAPPINESS and RELAXATION a glass of wine can bring after an exhausting, task-filled day.  Some days, after I get  my family into bed, all I can think about is a grabbing a glass of VINO, a BUBBLE BATH, and a GREAT BOOK. 

What started a few years as a way for me to OCCASIONALLY DE-STRESS after a long day, quickly became a TERRIBLE, TIME consuming HABIT.  It started with the occasional drink on the weekends after taking care of my family, attending school, and working full-time.  This weekend only habit then became a one-a-day...then two...then grew to the point I could easily consume an entire bottle if I wasn't careful.

Oftentimes, I would make excuses about my habit, quoting the HEALTH BENEFITS of drinking red wine.  Studies have shown that when consumed in moderation, wine REAPS many benefits including longevity among wine drinkers, reduced heart attack risk, lower risk of heart disease and stroke, and other health benefits.  While these benefits DO occur with moderate consumption, over consumption can lead to changes in the brain, mental health impairment, obesity, stroke, heart disease, fertility issues, liver disease, and many other health issues.

In looking at the end of the year and what I want out of 2014, I am pledging to include MORE self-care and healthy practices in my life.  My running group is also planning to run a marathon in 2014 :) and I want to be in my BESTEST RUNNING SHAPE!  Instead of  reaching for a glass of wine at the end of the night, I will use that time to complete some MUCH needed tasks on my to do list and get ready for a FANTASTIC 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment